11.09.2008

autumn

The changing of the leaves has brought me to ponder this turning of the season in my own life (what? you think I should take up Hallmark-card writing?) But really, how can one avoid thinking about it? We are upon a brand new political season, one that promises hope after a long, hard winter -- though there will necessarily be some turning of leaves there as well. It will be a while before spring arrives.
A friend sent an essay on Autumn from "Let Your Life Speak" by Parker Palmer, who writes: "In retrospect, I can see in my own life what I could not see at the time -- how the job I lost helped me find work I needed to do, how the 'road closed' sign turned me toward terrain I needed to travel, how losses that felt irredeemable forced me to discern meanings I needed to know. On the surface it seemed that life was lessening, but silently and lavishly the seeds of new life were always being sown."
Yes, all that -- and the aching beauty of dying in the dye of the leaves leaving.

1 comment:

Larry said...

Marcy
I really enjoyed reading your thoughts and wanted you to know someone out here has read your work. I believe every writer craves an audience. I'm trying to learn to be an entertaining if not a good writer. My background as an auto worker is not conducive to the craft but I try never the less.
I'm in the process of setting up a new blog here on Google. It's labeled "The Point". My old blog is www.oldduggy.com .Could you take a look at it for me. I would value your opinion very much.

PS
forgive me for being so forward.